Tips to Keep Your Plumbing Happy
February 9, 2016
- Teach your kids (and yourself) what is okay to go down the drain. Many people treat garburators and toilets like Herculean entities that can handle all manner of objects and liquids, but that is not the case. Just because it went down once doesn’t mean you should continue flushing it down.
- Paper towel
- Oil, grease, fat
- Large bones
- Heavy compost materials
- Coffee grounds
- Fibrous materials
- Expandable foods
- Liquids meant to clear your drain (they will weaken your pipes in the long run)
- Hazardous materials
- Small toys
- Baby wipes, feminine hygiene products
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Q-Tips / Cotton swabs
2) Call us before the problem gets big. Regular maintenance is important, and small things can get big fast, causing water damage, inconvenience, and other problems. Don’t wait until it’s an emergency.
3) Know your house. Keep an eye out for leaky faucets, old plumbing, and poor water pressure. This will help you spot potential problems before they happen.
4) Clean your drains – but not with chemical drain cleaners. Ask your plumber about a natural alternative or try hot water.
5) Watch the weather! Never turn off the heat if you live in a cold place (you might cause the water pipes to burst). If you have old pipes, ensure that they are insulated from the effects of cold weather.
6) Send cold (not hot) water down your garbage disposal when in use. Grind lemon and ice in garburator once a week.
7) Use mesh screens to protect drains from particles in the kitchen and bathroom sinks as well as the tub.
By following these tips, you can keep your plumbing happy and efficient. Remember: call us if you need help. It’s better to fix the problem right away than to wait until it becomes a serious issue.
Using Natural Gas for Your Business’ Heating Needs
A Benefits of Natural Gas for Commercial Heating With natural gas, there is no risk of running out of fuel for heating. The reliable and consistent supply of natural gas is not dependent on the weather or a power company for delivery. The instant heat means no waiting for a system to start up and … Continue reading Using Natural Gas for Your Business’ Heating Needs
Why Is My Plumbing Making Noise? Common Reasons for Noisy Pipes
The occasional noise from your pipes or other plumbing fixture is a given, and is a normal part of their everyday function, but when you start hearing noises that could wake you up at night or startle the dog, then you might have a problem. Nobody wants to hear clanging or banging coming from inside … Continue reading Why Is My Plumbing Making Noise? Common Reasons for Noisy Pipes
Natural Gas Service Ensures a Safe System in Your Home
Natural gas is a great energy source for your home. Natural gas is a hydrocarbon gas found in the earth that is primarily composed of methane and is often used as a way to heat your home as well as generate electricity for your household needs. Maintaining the natural gas system in your home is … Continue reading Natural Gas Service Ensures a Safe System in Your Home