Tips to Keep Your Plumbing Happy
February 9, 2016
- Teach your kids (and yourself) what is okay to go down the drain. Many people treat garburators and toilets like Herculean entities that can handle all manner of objects and liquids, but that is not the case. Just because it went down once doesn’t mean you should continue flushing it down.
- Paper towel
- Oil, grease, fat
- Large bones
- Heavy compost materials
- Coffee grounds
- Fibrous materials
- Expandable foods
- Liquids meant to clear your drain (they will weaken your pipes in the long run)
- Hazardous materials
- Small toys
- Baby wipes, feminine hygiene products
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Q-Tips / Cotton swabs
2) Call us before the problem gets big. Regular maintenance is important, and small things can get big fast, causing water damage, inconvenience, and other problems. Don’t wait until it’s an emergency.
3) Know your house. Keep an eye out for leaky faucets, old plumbing, and poor water pressure. This will help you spot potential problems before they happen.
4) Clean your drains – but not with chemical drain cleaners. Ask your plumber about a natural alternative or try hot water.
5) Watch the weather! Never turn off the heat if you live in a cold place (you might cause the water pipes to burst). If you have old pipes, ensure that they are insulated from the effects of cold weather.
6) Send cold (not hot) water down your garbage disposal when in use. Grind lemon and ice in garburator once a week.
7) Use mesh screens to protect drains from particles in the kitchen and bathroom sinks as well as the tub.
By following these tips, you can keep your plumbing happy and efficient. Remember: call us if you need help. It’s better to fix the problem right away than to wait until it becomes a serious issue.
Furnace Repair Vancouver BC
Clear Warning Signs Your Furnace is About to Break Down in Vancouver, BC Winter is not a very good time to think about repairing or replacing your furnace. But you don’t have to wait till winter, if there is a genuine need to do so. Just like with every other appliance at home, your furnace … Continue reading Furnace Repair Vancouver BC
Plumber Vancouver BC
Plumber Vancouver BC: How to Protect Your Plumbing System in winter If you haven’t prepared your house for the winter, then your plumbing system may become a major casualty. Since plumbing problems seem to occur at very inconvenient times, you should take all the necessary measure to reduce their occurrence during the cold months of … Continue reading Plumber Vancouver BC
When to Consider Upgrading Your Air Conditioner
If your current air conditioner just doesn’t seem to cut it anymore, it may be time to consider an AC upgrade. Signs Your AC is Failing If your air conditioner requires very frequent repairs, it may not be suited to your home. Likewise, if your cooling bills continue to rise despite professional intervention, your heating, … Continue reading When to Consider Upgrading Your Air Conditioner