Tips to Keep Your Plumbing Happy
February 9, 2016
- Teach your kids (and yourself) what is okay to go down the drain. Many people treat garburators and toilets like Herculean entities that can handle all manner of objects and liquids, but that is not the case. Just because it went down once doesn’t mean you should continue flushing it down.
- Paper towel
- Oil, grease, fat
- Large bones
- Heavy compost materials
- Coffee grounds
- Fibrous materials
- Expandable foods
- Liquids meant to clear your drain (they will weaken your pipes in the long run)
- Hazardous materials
- Small toys
- Baby wipes, feminine hygiene products
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Q-Tips / Cotton swabs
2) Call us before the problem gets big. Regular maintenance is important, and small things can get big fast, causing water damage, inconvenience, and other problems. Don’t wait until it’s an emergency.
3) Know your house. Keep an eye out for leaky faucets, old plumbing, and poor water pressure. This will help you spot potential problems before they happen.
4) Clean your drains – but not with chemical drain cleaners. Ask your plumber about a natural alternative or try hot water.
5) Watch the weather! Never turn off the heat if you live in a cold place (you might cause the water pipes to burst). If you have old pipes, ensure that they are insulated from the effects of cold weather.
6) Send cold (not hot) water down your garbage disposal when in use. Grind lemon and ice in garburator once a week.
7) Use mesh screens to protect drains from particles in the kitchen and bathroom sinks as well as the tub.
By following these tips, you can keep your plumbing happy and efficient. Remember: call us if you need help. It’s better to fix the problem right away than to wait until it becomes a serious issue.
Water Saving Tips for Your Household
Conserving water in your home is not only great for the environment, but efficient in lowering your monthly water bill and extending the life of your plumbing system. You can help conserve water from home and make a difference in your utility bill and the environment. Water conservation assists in preventing water pollution in local … Continue reading Water Saving Tips for Your Household
Keeping Drafty Days at Bay With Regular Heater Maintenance
Autumn brings many magnificent things: beautiful fall colors, rich and wonderful foods, and cozy evenings snuggled up with a blanket and a mug of hot cider just to name a few. What it also brings is cooler temperatures and the need to use the furnace again. It can be a harsh shock when you go … Continue reading Keeping Drafty Days at Bay With Regular Heater Maintenance
When to Consider Upgrading Your Air Conditioner
If your current air conditioner just doesn’t seem to cut it anymore, it may be time to consider an AC upgrade. Signs Your AC is Failing If your air conditioner requires very frequent repairs, it may not be suited to your home. Likewise, if your cooling bills continue to rise despite professional intervention, your heating, … Continue reading When to Consider Upgrading Your Air Conditioner