Tips to Keep Your Plumbing Happy
February 9, 2016
- Teach your kids (and yourself) what is okay to go down the drain. Many people treat garburators and toilets like Herculean entities that can handle all manner of objects and liquids, but that is not the case. Just because it went down once doesn’t mean you should continue flushing it down.
- Paper towel
- Oil, grease, fat
- Large bones
- Heavy compost materials
- Coffee grounds
- Fibrous materials
- Expandable foods
- Liquids meant to clear your drain (they will weaken your pipes in the long run)
- Hazardous materials
- Small toys
- Baby wipes, feminine hygiene products
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Q-Tips / Cotton swabs
2) Call us before the problem gets big. Regular maintenance is important, and small things can get big fast, causing water damage, inconvenience, and other problems. Don’t wait until it’s an emergency.
3) Know your house. Keep an eye out for leaky faucets, old plumbing, and poor water pressure. This will help you spot potential problems before they happen.
4) Clean your drains – but not with chemical drain cleaners. Ask your plumber about a natural alternative or try hot water.
5) Watch the weather! Never turn off the heat if you live in a cold place (you might cause the water pipes to burst). If you have old pipes, ensure that they are insulated from the effects of cold weather.
6) Send cold (not hot) water down your garbage disposal when in use. Grind lemon and ice in garburator once a week.
7) Use mesh screens to protect drains from particles in the kitchen and bathroom sinks as well as the tub.
By following these tips, you can keep your plumbing happy and efficient. Remember: call us if you need help. It’s better to fix the problem right away than to wait until it becomes a serious issue.
What Your Water Really Contains
Many people don’t think about their home’s water quality when filling a glass from the tap, but as the plumbing installation professionals at Tap-Roots Plumbing & Heating can tell you, there’s probably more in that glass than H2O, unless you have a water filtration system. The types of contaminants that can be found in your … Continue reading What Your Water Really Contains
Ensure Efficient Heating with Furnace Installation and Repair
As winter moves in closer for the residents of Vancouver, home owners should consider having their furnace tuned up to ensure that it is running at maximum efficiency. Although your furnace may have gone unused the majority of the spring and summer months, it will definitely get used during the frigid fall nights. Having the … Continue reading Ensure Efficient Heating with Furnace Installation and Repair
Performing Routine Plumbing Inspections Decreases Plumbing Problems in Your Vancouver or Richmond, BC Home or Business
They say that April showers can bring May flowers, but they don’t tell you they can also highlight plumbing problems. The sunshine of spring provides a great opportunity to examine your home’s plumbing for a variety of potential problems. In order to help our clients this spring, Tap Roots Plumbing wanted to offer a simple … Continue reading Performing Routine Plumbing Inspections Decreases Plumbing Problems in Your Vancouver or Richmond, BC Home or Business