Tips to Keep Your Plumbing Happy
February 9, 2016
- Teach your kids (and yourself) what is okay to go down the drain. Many people treat garburators and toilets like Herculean entities that can handle all manner of objects and liquids, but that is not the case. Just because it went down once doesn’t mean you should continue flushing it down.
- Paper towel
- Oil, grease, fat
- Large bones
- Heavy compost materials
- Coffee grounds
- Fibrous materials
- Expandable foods
- Liquids meant to clear your drain (they will weaken your pipes in the long run)
- Hazardous materials
- Small toys
- Baby wipes, feminine hygiene products
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Q-Tips / Cotton swabs
2) Call us before the problem gets big. Regular maintenance is important, and small things can get big fast, causing water damage, inconvenience, and other problems. Don’t wait until it’s an emergency.
3) Know your house. Keep an eye out for leaky faucets, old plumbing, and poor water pressure. This will help you spot potential problems before they happen.
4) Clean your drains – but not with chemical drain cleaners. Ask your plumber about a natural alternative or try hot water.
5) Watch the weather! Never turn off the heat if you live in a cold place (you might cause the water pipes to burst). If you have old pipes, ensure that they are insulated from the effects of cold weather.
6) Send cold (not hot) water down your garbage disposal when in use. Grind lemon and ice in garburator once a week.
7) Use mesh screens to protect drains from particles in the kitchen and bathroom sinks as well as the tub.
By following these tips, you can keep your plumbing happy and efficient. Remember: call us if you need help. It’s better to fix the problem right away than to wait until it becomes a serious issue.
Everything You Need To Know About Natural Gas
Natural gas is a flammable gas that’s comprised of mainly methane and other hydrocarbons. The gas, which is taken from the ground, is naturally occurring and it’s often associated with the petroleum industry. Natural gas is used for a wide range of applications and is an efficient way to cook food and heat buildings. Many … Continue reading Everything You Need To Know About Natural Gas
Get Air Conditioner Service in Vancouver Before the Spring Rush!
How confident are you that your AC unit will last through this coming summer? If you have any concerns about your air conditioning system, the time to get AC service is now! At Tap Roots, we like to get our customers set for the hot weather before spring is in full swing so that they … Continue reading Get Air Conditioner Service in Vancouver Before the Spring Rush!
Tips for Saving Money on Heating Bills This Winter
Many people find it hard to save money on their heating bills during the winter, especially if it’s an especially brutal one. While air conditioning bills can total hundreds of dollars a month, heating bills can typically become even more expensive on a monthly basis. This is because there is often more energy required to … Continue reading Tips for Saving Money on Heating Bills This Winter