Performing Routine Plumbing Inspections Decreases Plumbing Problems in Your Vancouver or Richmond, BC Home or Business
April 26, 2014
They say that April showers can bring May flowers, but they don’t tell you they can also highlight plumbing problems. The sunshine of spring provides a great opportunity to examine your home’s plumbing for a variety of potential problems. In order to help our clients this spring, Tap Roots Plumbing wanted to offer a simple checklist to help home-owners complete easy, DIY inspections of various parts of their plumbing. These inspections can help catch possible plumbing problems before they turn into costly repairs.
- Repairing or replacing leaky faucets or fixtures can save water and money.
- Check your toilet for obvious or hidden leaks. Obvious leaks would include cracks or leaks to the bowl or tank. Hidden leaks are easy to detect by adding food coloring to the tank of the toilet. If a hidden leak exists, the water in the bowl will also change colors in about 30 minutes(as long as the toilet was unused). This is also a good time to check the components in the tank and replace any worn or broken pieces that may prevent the toilet from flushing properly.
- Install strainers in all drains to prevent hair, debris, etc. from clogging pipes.
- Turn water supply valves on and off to ensure they always turn easily.
- Ensure the water heater is set to no higher or lower than 120°F to prevent scalding and to also ensure no bacteria grows in the tank (from cooler temperatures).
- Flushing a few gallons of water from your water heater tank removes any sediment build-up caused by corrosion. This will increase the efficiency and life of your water heater.
- If infrequently used drains have a foul odor, pour about a gallon of water through the drain. You can add a small amount of lemon juice to help freshen the smell. Doing this regularly will help prevent foul odors from entering the home.
- Check exposed pipes under sinks and in the basement for signs of leaks.
- All the gutters and downspouts around your home should be cleared of all leaves, twigs, and other debris that will prevent water from draining properly.
This simple, easy to follow checklist provides a number of areas for you to inspect. If you discover any plumbing problems or have questions, Tap Roots Plumbing is always available. If you are experiencing a plumbing emergency, don’t hesitate to call Tap Roots Plumbing for assistance. For all types of plumbing service, Tap Roots is the Vancouver plumbing company you can count on!
Quick and Easy Emergency Plumbing Tips
Accidents happen. That is a fact of life. Sometimes things are just out of your control, and there is nothing you can do. When a plumbing emergency occurs, it can be easy to panic, and think the world is coming to end. The best solution in all plumbing emergencies is to call a professional. While … Continue reading Quick and Easy Emergency Plumbing Tips
Unclog Your Life With Plumbing Repair
Plumbing issues can impact important rooms in a home like the bathroom and kitchen. The experienced plumbers at Tap-Roots are on call around the clock for plumbing repair emergencies. Here are some common types of plumbing problems. Bathroom Issues Toilets can be a frequent reason plumbing repair is necessary. They can get clogged with too … Continue reading Unclog Your Life With Plumbing Repair
Plumber Richmond BC
How To Save Plumbing Costs in Richmond BC If you usually experience consistent issues with your plumbing system, then you will agree that the cost can sometimes skyrocket and it can turn out to be a very expensive affair. In as a much as you desire to find immediate solution to your plumbing problems the … Continue reading Plumber Richmond BC