Performing Routine Plumbing Inspections Decreases Plumbing Problems in Your Vancouver or Richmond, BC Home or Business
April 26, 2014
They say that April showers can bring May flowers, but they don’t tell you they can also highlight plumbing problems. The sunshine of spring provides a great opportunity to examine your home’s plumbing for a variety of potential problems. In order to help our clients this spring, Tap Roots Plumbing wanted to offer a simple checklist to help home-owners complete easy, DIY inspections of various parts of their plumbing. These inspections can help catch possible plumbing problems before they turn into costly repairs.
- Repairing or replacing leaky faucets or fixtures can save water and money.
- Check your toilet for obvious or hidden leaks. Obvious leaks would include cracks or leaks to the bowl or tank. Hidden leaks are easy to detect by adding food coloring to the tank of the toilet. If a hidden leak exists, the water in the bowl will also change colors in about 30 minutes(as long as the toilet was unused). This is also a good time to check the components in the tank and replace any worn or broken pieces that may prevent the toilet from flushing properly.
- Install strainers in all drains to prevent hair, debris, etc. from clogging pipes.
- Turn water supply valves on and off to ensure they always turn easily.
- Ensure the water heater is set to no higher or lower than 120°F to prevent scalding and to also ensure no bacteria grows in the tank (from cooler temperatures).
- Flushing a few gallons of water from your water heater tank removes any sediment build-up caused by corrosion. This will increase the efficiency and life of your water heater.
- If infrequently used drains have a foul odor, pour about a gallon of water through the drain. You can add a small amount of lemon juice to help freshen the smell. Doing this regularly will help prevent foul odors from entering the home.
- Check exposed pipes under sinks and in the basement for signs of leaks.
- All the gutters and downspouts around your home should be cleared of all leaves, twigs, and other debris that will prevent water from draining properly.
This simple, easy to follow checklist provides a number of areas for you to inspect. If you discover any plumbing problems or have questions, Tap Roots Plumbing is always available. If you are experiencing a plumbing emergency, don’t hesitate to call Tap Roots Plumbing for assistance. For all types of plumbing service, Tap Roots is the Vancouver plumbing company you can count on!
Ensure Efficient Heating with Furnace Installation and Repair
As winter moves in closer for the residents of Vancouver, home owners should consider having their furnace tuned up to ensure that it is running at maximum efficiency. Although your furnace may have gone unused the majority of the spring and summer months, it will definitely get used during the frigid fall nights. Having the … Continue reading Ensure Efficient Heating with Furnace Installation and Repair
Making a Chilly Home Cozy and Comfortable with Furnace Repair
There are few things as enjoyable as getting cozy with a mug of hot cider or tea, then reading your favorite book during the cold and dark winter months. But this idyllic scenario could be utterly ruined if you do not have a working furnace. Shivering under a mountain of blankets is not a picturesque … Continue reading Making a Chilly Home Cozy and Comfortable with Furnace Repair
Benefits of Tankless Water Heaters
Many of our customers here at Tap-Roots, your Vancouver, BC water heater experts, know and trust their conventional water heaters. They are reliable, and they certainly function very well over a long period of time. While there is nothing wrong with continuing to use something that you are familiar with, tankless water heaters present a … Continue reading Benefits of Tankless Water Heaters