Easy Disposal Maintenance Tips
May 22, 2013
At Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating, we see a lot of broken and worn out garbage disposals on our rounds. Sadly, most of the damage we take care of on a regular basis can be easily prevented. In fact, proper garbage disposal maintenance can go a long way towards making sure that you don't have to pay expensive plumbing repair fees. Use the following tips to help keep your disposal in top shape.
- Always feed food into the disposal as slowly as you can. This will ensure that the blades can do what they are meant to do without getting jammed or overwhelmed.
- Ice can make a huge difference in how well your garbage disposal works. Once every four weeks or so, dump a tray of ice cubes into the sink and let the blades run. After the ice has been reduce to slush, pour cold water down the disposal to clear the way. At this point, consider dropping a lemon peel down the disposal to keep the blades clean and the smell sweet.
- When you are running the garbage disposal, only use cold water. Hot water will liquefy any grease in your pipes, making it easier for it to stick to the blades and the moving mechanisms when it cools as it travels down the pipes.
- A half cup of baking soda and a half cup of vinegar poured into the drain make for an excellent cleaner and deodorizer. Remember that you should always rinse this solution with some hot water afterwards, which will help you clear out any remaining sediment or foam. This is a great and cheap way to clean things out.
- On a daily basis, just run the disposal the way that you normally would, adding soapy water every few times. The soapy water is often enough to keep the garbage disposal clear on a day to day basis.
While it’s possible to treat small jams on your own simply by resetting the machine, don't take the risk of ruining the entire machine by attempting major repairs yourself. Call a Richmond plumber at Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating whom you trust to take on issues that seem larger. Call 604-222-1282.
Water Saving Tips for Your Household
Conserving water in your home is not only great for the environment, but efficient in lowering your monthly water bill and extending the life of your plumbing system. You can help conserve water from home and make a difference in your utility bill and the environment. Water conservation assists in preventing water pollution in local … Continue reading Water Saving Tips for Your Household
Pressure Balance Valves Can Save You from Injury by Preventing Hot Water Scalds in Your Vancouver or Richmond, BC Home or Business
There are all sorts of little plumbing gadgets we take for granted, but there’s one in particular that’s so important it actually can save us from being scalded! The plumbing device we’re referring to is the pressure balance valve. The pressure balance valve allows us to take showers in water of a consistent, comfortable temperature … Continue reading Pressure Balance Valves Can Save You from Injury by Preventing Hot Water Scalds in Your Vancouver or Richmond, BC Home or Business
Why Use a Home Water Filtration System?
Water filers provide clean drinking water that both tastes good and is free of bacteria, chlorine or any other contaminants such as lead. A home water filtration will let you filter your own water right from the tap which makes it easy to enjoy clean water, not just for drinking but cooking as well. Drinking … Continue reading Why Use a Home Water Filtration System?