Easy Disposal Maintenance Tips
May 22, 2013
At Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating, we see a lot of broken and worn out garbage disposals on our rounds. Sadly, most of the damage we take care of on a regular basis can be easily prevented. In fact, proper garbage disposal maintenance can go a long way towards making sure that you don't have to pay expensive plumbing repair fees. Use the following tips to help keep your disposal in top shape.
- Always feed food into the disposal as slowly as you can. This will ensure that the blades can do what they are meant to do without getting jammed or overwhelmed.
- Ice can make a huge difference in how well your garbage disposal works. Once every four weeks or so, dump a tray of ice cubes into the sink and let the blades run. After the ice has been reduce to slush, pour cold water down the disposal to clear the way. At this point, consider dropping a lemon peel down the disposal to keep the blades clean and the smell sweet.
- When you are running the garbage disposal, only use cold water. Hot water will liquefy any grease in your pipes, making it easier for it to stick to the blades and the moving mechanisms when it cools as it travels down the pipes.
- A half cup of baking soda and a half cup of vinegar poured into the drain make for an excellent cleaner and deodorizer. Remember that you should always rinse this solution with some hot water afterwards, which will help you clear out any remaining sediment or foam. This is a great and cheap way to clean things out.
- On a daily basis, just run the disposal the way that you normally would, adding soapy water every few times. The soapy water is often enough to keep the garbage disposal clear on a day to day basis.
While it’s possible to treat small jams on your own simply by resetting the machine, don't take the risk of ruining the entire machine by attempting major repairs yourself. Call a Richmond plumber at Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating whom you trust to take on issues that seem larger. Call 604-222-1282.
Are Your Water Bills Too High?
Water is a necessity, and most people are quite alright with paying for something that is so important. However, there are times when bills can just get too high. If you’ve noticed a spike in your water bills recently, then that could be a sign that something is very wrong with your system. Here are … Continue reading Are Your Water Bills Too High?
3 Common Causes for Plumbing Repair and How to Avoid Them
No one ever wants to see water leaking through their ceiling. The only thing that can possibly mean is trouble. While not every disaster is preventable, there are a few things homeowners can do to avoid plumbing repair. We at Tap-Roots are capable of handling anything your pipes throw at us, but you can do … Continue reading 3 Common Causes for Plumbing Repair and How to Avoid Them
Benefits of Tankless Water Heaters
Many of our customers here at Tap-Roots, your Vancouver, BC water heater experts, know and trust their conventional water heaters. They are reliable, and they certainly function very well over a long period of time. While there is nothing wrong with continuing to use something that you are familiar with, tankless water heaters present a … Continue reading Benefits of Tankless Water Heaters