Easy Disposal Maintenance Tips
May 22, 2013
At Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating, we see a lot of broken and worn out garbage disposals on our rounds. Sadly, most of the damage we take care of on a regular basis can be easily prevented. In fact, proper garbage disposal maintenance can go a long way towards making sure that you don't have to pay expensive plumbing repair fees. Use the following tips to help keep your disposal in top shape.
- Always feed food into the disposal as slowly as you can. This will ensure that the blades can do what they are meant to do without getting jammed or overwhelmed.
- Ice can make a huge difference in how well your garbage disposal works. Once every four weeks or so, dump a tray of ice cubes into the sink and let the blades run. After the ice has been reduce to slush, pour cold water down the disposal to clear the way. At this point, consider dropping a lemon peel down the disposal to keep the blades clean and the smell sweet.
- When you are running the garbage disposal, only use cold water. Hot water will liquefy any grease in your pipes, making it easier for it to stick to the blades and the moving mechanisms when it cools as it travels down the pipes.
- A half cup of baking soda and a half cup of vinegar poured into the drain make for an excellent cleaner and deodorizer. Remember that you should always rinse this solution with some hot water afterwards, which will help you clear out any remaining sediment or foam. This is a great and cheap way to clean things out.
- On a daily basis, just run the disposal the way that you normally would, adding soapy water every few times. The soapy water is often enough to keep the garbage disposal clear on a day to day basis.
While it’s possible to treat small jams on your own simply by resetting the machine, don't take the risk of ruining the entire machine by attempting major repairs yourself. Call a Richmond plumber at Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating whom you trust to take on issues that seem larger. Call 604-222-1282.
Signs of a Gas Leak on Your Property
Every property owner who has natural gas needs to know how to spot a gas leak quickly to prevent a potentially life-threatening emergency. The problem with natural gas is that it can be very difficult to detect a gas leak before it becomes dangerous. Some people can smell it right away while others hardly notice … Continue reading Signs of a Gas Leak on Your Property
Using Natural Gas for Your Business’ Heating Needs
A Benefits of Natural Gas for Commercial Heating With natural gas, there is no risk of running out of fuel for heating. The reliable and consistent supply of natural gas is not dependent on the weather or a power company for delivery. The instant heat means no waiting for a system to start up and … Continue reading Using Natural Gas for Your Business’ Heating Needs
Simple Kitchen Remodeling Ideas for a Tight Budget
It’s easy to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so it’s important to make sure it looks nice. Unfortunately, a full kitchen remodel can be expensive and time consuming if you make plans to do it yourself. Getting new appliances or redoing cabinetry gets very pricey very quickly. At Tap-Roots Plumbing & Heating, … Continue reading Simple Kitchen Remodeling Ideas for a Tight Budget