Easy Disposal Maintenance Tips
May 22, 2013
At Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating, we see a lot of broken and worn out garbage disposals on our rounds. Sadly, most of the damage we take care of on a regular basis can be easily prevented. In fact, proper garbage disposal maintenance can go a long way towards making sure that you don't have to pay expensive plumbing repair fees. Use the following tips to help keep your disposal in top shape.
- Always feed food into the disposal as slowly as you can. This will ensure that the blades can do what they are meant to do without getting jammed or overwhelmed.
- Ice can make a huge difference in how well your garbage disposal works. Once every four weeks or so, dump a tray of ice cubes into the sink and let the blades run. After the ice has been reduce to slush, pour cold water down the disposal to clear the way. At this point, consider dropping a lemon peel down the disposal to keep the blades clean and the smell sweet.
- When you are running the garbage disposal, only use cold water. Hot water will liquefy any grease in your pipes, making it easier for it to stick to the blades and the moving mechanisms when it cools as it travels down the pipes.
- A half cup of baking soda and a half cup of vinegar poured into the drain make for an excellent cleaner and deodorizer. Remember that you should always rinse this solution with some hot water afterwards, which will help you clear out any remaining sediment or foam. This is a great and cheap way to clean things out.
- On a daily basis, just run the disposal the way that you normally would, adding soapy water every few times. The soapy water is often enough to keep the garbage disposal clear on a day to day basis.
While it’s possible to treat small jams on your own simply by resetting the machine, don't take the risk of ruining the entire machine by attempting major repairs yourself. Call a Richmond plumber at Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating whom you trust to take on issues that seem larger. Call 604-222-1282.
Why Gas Leaks Are So Dangerous
Gas leaks are virtually impossible to detect with the naked eye, and can pose both immediate and long-term danger to your home and your health. Most residential heating and cooking systems in today’s modern day and age run off of natural gas. Natural gas, also known as fossil fuels, can be extremely difficult to detect … Continue reading Why Gas Leaks Are So Dangerous
Plumber Vancouver BC
Plumber Vancouver BC: How to Protect Your Plumbing System in winter If you haven’t prepared your house for the winter, then your plumbing system may become a major casualty. Since plumbing problems seem to occur at very inconvenient times, you should take all the necessary measure to reduce their occurrence during the cold months of … Continue reading Plumber Vancouver BC
Keep Your Home Warm This Winter With Heater Maintenance
Having your heater break down in the middle of a cold winter is no fun at all. Here at Tap-Roots, we recommend regular heater maintenance and inspections, especially just prior to the winter season. With regular maintenance, you can be sure that your heater will be working properly this winter and that your house stays … Continue reading Keep Your Home Warm This Winter With Heater Maintenance